Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Chile, chili and Chilenos

First of all I have to say Chile saved me. Saved me from loosing my travel spirit and thinking I have seen enough or having met enough people. It proved to me once again that a thin line on a map really makes a huge difference. Maybe it was also that things only could get better regarding the people and that my mind was fully opened for new encouters. From the first day I only had a good time in Chile.

But before I keep up the tradition and tell how to be a good Chilean, I have to say that there is really no need to try to be one. Because Chile is super safe, and you will have more fun with the Chileans as an "Extranjero"! People here are actually interested in those who visit their country and wherever you go there will be a friendly person trying to help you out.

If you still want to be a Chilean try the following:

- be as small as all other latin americans
- have darker hair than the rest and keep it mostly straightened
- be cheerful and look around yourself to notice who else is there
- try to mix with foreigners as much as possible
- party hard and drink a lot
- call your flag the prettiest in the world although it just a copy of the Texas one (just kidding, Chile`s is 21years older)
- call your official language Spanish but don`t use it
- speak Chilean instead, which means not pronouncing the end of words that are to long and adding "po" to all the words that are too short (therefore all words will have the same lengths and you can speek so fast that no foreigner will understand you)
- don`t do sports
- spent your freetime in Shopping Malls and even call one them "The most important shopping mall in south america"
-don`t tell anyone what makes a Shopping Mall "important"

So that`s about it. Chile has a very diverse countryside from Glaciers in the south to the driest place on earth in the north. It`s all just fascinating and if you wonder why I haven`t said anything about chili yet, well, I didn`t have any over there but I just thought the headline sounds better with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment